Zig Ziglar (November 6, 1926 – November 28, 2012) began his career as a salesman. Pitching a variety of products from cookware to insurance the selling was rough, until he started sharing his own messages. Often crediting the life turn around to becoming a born again Christian, he built his philosophy around the concept that “you can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”
By his 70’s he had spoken to millions of people through his books, tapes, and podcast all in addition to speaking to thousands at 60 live events a year. His formula was: ‘Prepare extensively every time, be funny… make certain that every five minutes I’m giving them a concept, an idea, a process, a hope builder.”
I was fortunate to met Zig at an NSA conference. He was as warm, funny, energetic, generous, and helpful as everyone says.
Some of my favorite Zig quotes that capture his philosophy and success principles include:
- Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is.
- You can have anything in the world you want if you?
- l just help enough other people get what they want.
- It’s your aptitude, not just your attitude that determines your ultimate altitude. Every choice you make has an end result.
- A goal properly set is halfway reached.
- People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing-that’s why we recommend it daily.
- Don’t be distracted by criticism.
- Remember the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you.
- Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.
- Our favorite attitude should be gratitude.
- Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.
- Even worse, how can you hit a target you don’t even have!?
- You need to have GOALS in your life! I
- f you don’t see yourself as a winner, then you cannot perform as a winner.
- If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re very scarce.
- If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.
- Money won’t make you happy… but everybody wants to find out for themselves.
- People who have good relationships at home are more effective in the marketplace.
- Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.
- Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful.
- There has never been a statue erected to honor a critic.
- What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
- You are the only person on earth who can use your ability. You cannot make it as a wandering generality.
- You must become a meaningful specific. You cannot perform in a manner inconsistent with the way you see yourself.
- You cannot tailor make your situation in life, but you can tailor make your attitudes to fit those situations.
- You have to be before you can do, and do before you can have.
- You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
- It’s not what you’ve got, it’s what you use that makes a difference.
- Many marriages would be better if the husband and the wife clearly understood that they are on the same side.
- Success is dependent upon the glands — sweat glands. Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have.
- Success means doing the best we can with what we have. The way you see people is the way you treat them.
- This I do know beyond any reasonable doubt.
- Regardless of what you are doing, if you pump long enough, hard enough and enthusiastically enough, sooner or later the effort will bring forth the reward.